39 & 40 Strand Street Frederiksted St. Croix

 

The Fred is located on (2) historic properties fronting the Caribbean Sea along Strand Street in the historic town of Frederiksted. Both sites which are being combined are known as the Totten House and Douglas/Gaff House. This unique historic preservation project is divided into 3 phases to facilitate construction and permitting purposes since this property is located in Tier 1 of the Coastal Zone Management program.


Phase 1 – A renovated boutique hotel and spa with 15 rooms. Totten House - 6 rooms, Totten Cottages – 3 rooms, Douglas House – 4 rooms, a new 460 square foot per floor (2 story) 2 hotel room addition yielding a total of 15 rooms, excavation & construction of a new 26' x 60' x 4'-8” swimming pool, elevated platform and bar, public restrooms w/ a generator room and trash room, restaurant, spa, site courtyard enhancements such as concrete pavers, wooden decks and landscaping.


Phase 2 – A new 1410 square foot per floor (2 story) 8 room hotel building addition. (4) rooms will be ADA compliant on the ground floor and the building will have a portico and covered gallery facing Strand Street and covered galleries facing the Caribbean Sea. This structure will bring the total hotel rooms to 23 for the site. A boardwalk is also proposed on the western seaside of the property which will run from Queen Cross Street to (2) openings into the hotel along the owner's property.


Phase 3 - A 400 square foot 8'Lx50W' wood dock on pilings will be the last amenity the boutique hotel and spa complex will seek to complete this development.


All photographs of The Fred are courtesy of www.sleepwithfred.com website. Interiors by Jeff Printz & Christoper Swanson.


Services:

Conceptual Design

Schematic Design

Development Design

Construction Documents


18 Strand Street Frederiksted St. Croix

 

An existing historic building partial refurbished only on its second floor was purchased by the VI Supreme Court. Retrofitting the upper floors into Judges chambers, library and support clerks and staffs was the initial phase of the project. The first floor with full security systems including window/door units, conference room and support staff offices was completed in the second phase of the project. Landscaping as well as an exterior glass enclosed lift creates a fully ADA compliant courthouse in this unique property that dates to the mid 19th century. 


A highly efficient dehumidifying and inverter AC system was installed throughout the entire facility which employs traditional limewash paint on any exposed rubble wall surfaces in the structure.


 

Services:

Conceptual Design
Schematic Design
Development Design
Construction Documents
Bidding & Permitting
Construction Administration

49 Hospital Street Frederiksted St. Croix

 Built in the late 18th century, an 1803 map of Frederiksted shows a building at 49 Hospital Street, half of its current size.  By 1841, the census reveals that Peter Markoe (son of Francis Markoe and Elizabeth Hartman), a Major in the Militia and Chief of the Center Division, occupied the house with his wife, Mary Heyliger, and their family.  At the time, Mr. Markoe was 70 years old and probably lived there for some time.  Since St. Croix 's major trading partner was Philadelphia and the Markoe family had extensive dealings there, it is not a stretch to believe the original design of 49 Hospital Street was influenced by the popular Federalist style found in Philadelphia and Boston.


By 1855, the house was owned and occupied by the Ripperger family and their servants.  Mr. Johann George Ripperger is described as a clerk, school master, and grave digger.  The home was burned during the 1878 "Fiyah Buhn" and doubled in size once rebuilt.  The Rippergers remained in the home until 1901.  Since then, it has been owned by the family of the first native born Governor, Robert Merwin.  Governor Merwin was born next door at Liberty Hall, while his family owned and resided at 49 Hospital Street.


The structure's facade remained in the Federalist style until 2009 when it underwent a complete restoration.  The restoration is inspired by the Victorian style which is prevalent in the historic town of Frederiksted after "Fiyah Buhn". This renovation and restoration is an Enterprise Zone recipient.


Building Construction and Kitchen Design: Allen Zepp (Framing, Finish Carpentry), Nancy Proctor (Kitchen), Charles Weaver (Mason) 


 

Services:

Conceptual Design
Schematic Design
Development Design
Construction Documents
Bidding & Permitting
Construction Administration

14 Strand Street Frederiksted St. Croix

 

Dating back to 1780 with its present ground floor footprint executed in rubble masonry construction circa 1802, this unique historic townhouse has distinct rhombic decoration on its stair railing and landing. Its present detailing dates back to 1880 after the original structure was burnt during Firebuhn, October 1, 1878 which destroyed parts of the historic town of Frederiksted. 

In 2005, its present native V.I. owner salvaged most of the original upper floor from imminent demolition that had been sought by the local VI Fire Service since the building had been abandoned for more than a decade. 


This historic structure is a success story on multiple levels since it is a Federal Tax Credit Rehabilitation recipient as well as being a local Enterprise Zone recipient. The present structure houses an EDC company which brings increased commerce to the waterfront of Frederiksted.

TALLER LARJAS, LLC provided highly detailed measured drawings that created the construction documents which met the Department of Interior standards and the requirements of the local St. Croix Historic Preservation Committee. 


Repointed coral stone rubble walls and restored/replicated ornate trim abounds throughout this authentic jewel on Strand Street affectionately known as "7 Flags".


Interior photographs by Dr. Denise Bennerson


 

Services:

Conceptual Design
Schematic Design
Development Design
Construction Documents
Bidding & Permitting
Construction Administration

Estate Sion Farm St. Croix

 

Sion Farm Greathouse circa 1756 is a typical plantation residence located on St. Croix Virgin Islands. It is the formal residence of the Lt. Governor of the USVI and is affectionately known as the "People's Greathouse". Its extensive renovation began in 2005, completed in 2007 and required removing damaged wood flooring throughout and replacing it with hardwoods. 


The residence had several additions which were not reflective of the original residence through documentation showing the architectural features that existed dating back to 1880. These features such as the 3 dimensional trellis work and gingerbread were recreated to return the rear entrance to its original beauty. The East facade, the true formal entrance with its pedimented and dated entablature was restored. The welcoming arms stair gives this facade its original formality and represents the styling of the period. 


3 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths are located on the upper floor of the residence, with an contemporary renovated kitchen addition and a formal dining and living room on the main floor. The basement was retrofitted as a den for the Lt. Governor's family use. 


Proper limewash plaster and paint were employed on both the interior and exterior of this residence with restored interior molding and trim.


Services:


Conceptual Design

Schematic Design

Development Design

Construction Documents

Construction Administration